- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomato
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup drained hominy
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 5 corn tortillas, misted on both sides with oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a heavy 3-quart pot. Add the chicken and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, pepper, cilantro, tomato, jalapenos, seasonings and hominy.
- Cook for a couple of minutes to concentrate flavors. Add the broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the tortillas in strips and bake in the oven until crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Crush half of the tortillas and stir into the soup. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the remaining tortilla strips.