Sweet Potato Pie
This delicious Southern recipe serves 8, and provides one vegetable serving per person. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of fiber and cancer fighting beta-carotene.
- 4 cups mashed orange sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Combine the sweet potatoes, margarine, egg substitute, brown sugar, molasses, evaporated milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger in a large bowl.
- Pour into the prepared crust and bake 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven. The filling should be set all the way to the middle when you shake it gently. If the crust starts getting too brown, protect with strips of aluminum foil. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. Serve with a dollop of nonfat vanilla yogurt.