Sopa Do Mar
If you have a good fresh fish market in your area, be sure to make this incredibly easy soup on a cold day.
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 8 oz. onions
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon basil
- 1/4 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 tablespoon thyme
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 cups fish stock
- 12 mussels
- Clams, oysters, shrimp (4 of each)
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 4 oz. scallops
- 6 oz. swordfish
- 6 oz. squid
- Rouille (garlic, low-fat mayonnaise and pureed roasted red pepper)
- In an 8-quart pot, sauté the garlic and onion in vegetable spray until they are translucent.
- Add chopped tomato and seasonings and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add fish stock, mussels, clams, oysters and saffron.
- Simmer until the shellfish begin to open, then add shrimp, scallops, swordfish and squid.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the fish is done. Serve with rouille and crusty bread on the side.