New England Fish Chowder
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled baking potato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cod or other lean white fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion; sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour; gradually add 2 1/2 cups milk, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Add potato, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add fish and 1 cup milk; cook an additional 10 minutes or until fish is done (flaky).
- Serve with oyster crackers, if desired.