Hot and Sour Soup
- 1/4 pound ground lean turkey, shredded
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- 2 dried black mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dried wood ears
- 1/4 cup dried lily buds
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2-4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat firm tofu, cut in 1" cubes
- 1/4 egg substitute, (two egg whites = 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- Tabasco sauce to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped scallions
- Mix the ground lean turkey, with sherry and 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch.
- Cover and soak wood ears, mushrooms, and tiger lilies with boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Slice the mushrooms and wood ears into strips.
- Mix the remaining cornstarch with the 1/2 cup of cold water and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth and soy sauce to a simmer.
- Add the pork, mushrooms, wood ears, tiger lilies, bamboo shoots and light soy sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, white pepper, and tofu.
- As soon as the soup begins to boil, stir in the well-stirred cornstarch mixture until the soup thickens.
- Add the Tabasco sauce, if using. Mix in the beaten eggs, stirring constantly.
- Taste the soup and adjust the vinegar, Tabasco, soy sauce and white pepper combination to your taste.
- Add the sesame oil and scallions.