To speed the process of making roasted chicken I suggest boiling the chicken for twenty minutes with chicken broth and seasonings. Then continue with the directions starting with step #3 and bake for only an additional twenty-five minutes!
- 1 (5-6 lb) roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium red onions, quartered
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove and discard giblets, neck and excess fat from the chicken. Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry.
- Place rosemary and crushed garlic beneath skin of breast and drumsticks.
- Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken breast side up, on a broiler pan.
- Cut a thin slice from end of each onion. Remove white papery skins from garlic heads.
- Cut tops off of garlic heads, leaving root end intact.
- Bake at 450 degrees for thirty minutes. Brush onions and garlic heads with olive oil and arrange around chicken. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Discard skin from chicken.
- Squeeze roasted heads of garlic to extract pulp for garlic bread!