Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 pound of mushrooms (portabella, brown and button) rinsed and roughly chopped*
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oil or vegetable spray
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup pared thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- * Note: 1 pound mushrooms = 4 cups
- In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of the mushrooms with 1 1/2 cups of the broth, and then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Transfer to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and return to saucepan.
- Place large nonstick skillet over medium heat 30 seconds. Spray with vegetable oil and heat 30 seconds more.
- Add onions, carrot and celery and cook 5 minutes stirring frequently, until onion is golden.
- Add remaining mushrooms to pan and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushroom sauce in saucepan, along with the remaining broth.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk and flour until smooth and add to the mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat (do not let soup boil after adding milk), stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add parsley, thyme, marjoram and pepper and simmer 5 minutes. This can also be used as a sauce or base for casseroles.