Chicken Pan Paella
The great Mediterranean paellas are a favorite of mine.! Traditional Greek or Spanish paellas are made with seafood such as shrimp and crab legs, but try this delicious alternative with chicken.
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron or ground turmeric
- 1- 14.5 oz. can reduced sodium stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken into bite-size strips.
- Cook chicken strips in a 10-inch skillet, half at a time, in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook until tender.
- Add broth, rice, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, and saffron or turmeric to skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add undrained tomatoes, sweet pepper strips, and peas to skillet.
- Cover and simmer five minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in cooked chicken.
- Cook and stir about one minute more or till heated through.
- Serve on a nice big platter, as it makes six servings!