Chicken and Vegetable Calzone
Calzones are great to eat after any competition. It is probably best to prepare this recipe before your competition because of the preparation and time.
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onions or shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped green, red, or yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. cooked chicken breast, finely chopped
- Pinch of flour
- 10 oz. package refrigerated pizza dough
- 2/3 cup shredded Healthy Choice fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a large skillet with vegetable oil spray.
- Add mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, oregano, garlic, fennel seed, and crushed red pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir chopped chicken into the mixture, set aside.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and unroll pizza dough into a 13-inch circle.
- Fold corners of dough before rolling. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Spoon chicken mixture on half of the dough circle to within 1-inch of the edge.
- Seal edge by pressing with the tines of a fork. Brush the top with milk (optional, vegetable oil).
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is light brown and filling is heated through.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot!