Basic Light Pancakes
Light and fluffy pancakes can make a great healthy snack. Skip the syrup and serve with fruit such as strawberries and wild blueberries on the side or in the mix.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar*
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten*
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- *Low-Calorie Hint: Substitute natural sweetener such as honey for sugar, and egg whites for eggs.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and oil.
- Gradually mix wet ingredients into the dry ones until combined.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed nonstick or well-seasoned pan or griddle.
- Grease pan with vegetable spray.
- Drop batter by large tablespoons (about 2 per pancake) onto hot surface.
- Cook on one side until bubbles appear on top and underside is light brown.
- Flip pancake and brown on other side.
- Keep cooked pancakes warm in a 250-degree oven until all are done.
- Serve immediately.