Barley Risotto with Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 thyme sprig
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leek
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (4 oz.) skinned, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 3/4 cup pearl barley (about 12 oz.)
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add carrot and thyme; sauté one minute. Add celery, leek, and onion; sauté one minute. Add salt, pepper and chicken, sauté five minutes. Add barley and sauté one minute.
- Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer forty minutes.
- Remove from heat; discard thyme sprig. Stir in parsley and cheese.
- Garnish with additional parsley and red onion.
- Serve hot!